A Preliminary Playbook
The following outlines the primary topics a caregiver must understand in beginning their journey in caring for a dementia patient. Each of these items are explained in detail within Forget “Remember”.
- Inform the loved-one of the diagnosis.
- The patient is losing the ability to do rational thinking.
- Please maintain optimism with the loved-one.
- Support a good quality of life.
- Validate, validate, validate.
- Cleanliness is not Godliness.
- Forget “remember”.
- It is okay for YOU to forget.
- Take care of yourself.
- The doctor is not the boss.
13 Steps To Care
The author carefully designed and mastered each of the 13 Steps to Care. Each step is explained in detail within his book, Forget “Remember”. Each and every one of these steps are crucial in helping you maintain a Quality of Life for your loved-one. In following these, you will find that your role as a caregiver becomes clearer; you become empowered through many years prior experiences. Every step will get completed whether you take them on individually or have someone else assume the role.
13 Steps to Care
- Get Diagnosis – Definitive
- Create a Journal
- Medical Alignment – Alternative Medicines
- Change Your Thinking
- Initiate a Durable Power of Attorney
- Develop a Financial Plan
- Join a Support Group
- Create a Respite Plan
- Assess Patient and Your Safety
- Review Day Care
- Visit Long-Term Care Facilities
- Contact Hospice